Monday, October 8, 2012

Big Bend National Park

I went back to the first place I painted here probably 15 years ago. I sold it and I missed the image, and wanted to make another. This  I'm not sure what you call it, not really a mesa-- but like it's cowboy hat shape.


Well, I was painting here and kept hearing bells. It turned out the Rio Grande was just behind a hill behind me, and the horse was in Mexico. The thought of a horse in Mexico made me want to paint the already amazing blue walls of the Rio Grande basin behind it.

As I painted the beach I realized there were foot prints into the water-- I remembered that in Abiquiu they shot a scene in All the Pretty Horses, at Trujillos Hill which I've painted many times. They were supposed to be crossing into Mexico-- in reality Abiquiu.


So here I am painting the same Rio Grande-- the Chama River in Abiquiu flows directly into it, a continuation of that painting 500 miles away on the Mexican Border.









I guess I like how reality and myth are mixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment